To cook chana
- - 1 cup whole urad dal
- - ½ cup kidney beans(rajma)
- - 4 cups water
- - ½ teaspoon of cumin, red chilli and turmeric powder
- - 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- - 2 medium Tomato finely chopped
- - 1 inch ginger
- - 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- - 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- - 3 tablespoon President Butter
- - Salt as required
- - ¼ cup Coriander leaves finely chopped
Soaking beans for Dal Makhani:
- 1. Wash both urad dal and kidney beans under running water and soak them in enough water for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Drain them well and keep them aside.
Preparing Dal Makhani:
- 1. In a pressure cooker, add all the ingredients including the dal/kidney beans and also President butter.
- 2. Add water. Pressure cook for some 12-15 whistles.
- 3. Open and check. If they are cooked, you will be able to mash both dal and kidney beans with spoon.
- 4. If they are cooked, let the dal makhani simmer in the cooker itself without the lid for 10-15 minutes or more till you get smooth creamy texture.
- 5. Once done, garnish it with coriander leaves and President Butter.
- 6. Serve it with naan or jeera rice.